DEVELOPING A MARKETING ONBOARDING CURRICULUM
CLIENT: US MARKETING COMPANY OF A TOP-10 PHARMA COMPANY
There was no centralised approach to providing marketing onboarding for new joiners. Line managers were left to try and find content and resources for their new team members, and the content often consisted of lengthy slide decks that overwhelmed learners with unnecessarily detailed information.
There was a need to provide all new members of the marketing team with a consistent and easily accessible onboarding curriculum. This curriculum needed to focus on what was essential to know in the first few months in-role, so as not to overwhelm learners, whilst clearly signposting where to go for more information when they were ready for it.
• Reviewed existing onboarding content
• Defined the new onboarding curriculum based on discussions with key stakeholders
• Created 12 modules (iPDFs) based on existing source content and other client company sources
• Created an onboarding checklist
The 12 modules were short, bite-size pieces and followed a consistent format, focusing on what was important for new marketers to know:
• Introduction to the topic (what it was)
• Why it is important to marketing
• How marketing engage with it
• Where to go for further information and support
The positive reception and uptake within the US business resulted in PMA developing similar marketing onboarding curricula for global marketing and the US marketing company of another division within the group.